Vehicle or Motor Insurance now constitutes the largest sector of the general insurance industry in India. In spite of an alarming situation where more than five out of every ten motor vehicles in the country are still uninsured, the awareness of getting a two-wheeler or four-wheeler insurance has considerably increased. Consequently, the number of claims has also gone up.
Consistent efforts from the regulators and the introduction of various measures to encourage and benefit policyholders have started showing results. The advent of technology, expanding internet penetration and growing digitization have all led to enhanced and easy online access to vehicle insurance.
Progress has been made! Unfortunately, that doesn’t hold when it comes to policyholders being careful while handling their insurance documents and information. Instances of losing the paperwork and forgetting vehicle insurance details are way too common for anybody’s liking.
The Solution & Last Resort? Taking action and checking your vehicle insurance policy status.
“Why bother checking the status, what do I need to know, and how do I do it?”
Let’s briefly answer these questions and understand, step-by-step, how you can check your two or four-wheeler’s insurance policy status on your own.
Two & Four-Wheelers’ Vehicle Insurance Policy Status
- Comprises of your insurance policy/provider’s information.
- Accident history of the vehicle involved in an accident with you.
- Active or inactive status and the expiry date.
- Details like owner’s name, vehicle class/registration number, make/model, emission norms, RC status and insurance-up-to.
The Need to Check the Status & Possible Scenarios
- You have not received any update even after making the payment for your vehicle insurance policy.
- Misplaced your insurance documents, got lost or stolen.
- Do not remember your policy details.
- You are a victim of a road accident, not aware of the insurance details of the vehicle responsible, and you need their information for lodging a claim with the concerned insurance company.
Must-Know Services, Portals & Terms
Insurance Information Bureau (IIB): (www.Iib.gov.in)
- An independent nonprofit, a data repository, promoted and backed by the IRDAI’s (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) directive.
- Acts as a single platform for meeting the needs of the Indian insurance industry and looking after policyholders’ interests.
- Collects and stores accurate data for the insurance sector.
- Maintains records of vehicles from 1st April 2010 in digital format.
- Facilitates tracking of motor vehicles’ insurance policy information.
- Does not show details for policies less than two months old.
- Provides V Seva – An Accident Vehicle Information Retrieval System, lets you track accident records and check insurance online.
VAHAN e-Services: (www.Vahan.nic.in)
- A national vehicle registry, web portal from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways/NIC, Government of India.
- Collates vehicle registration details and captures information mandated under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 to make it available to citizens and regulators.
- Over 28.8 crore vehicles registered under VAHAN as on 30th November 2020.
Vehicle/Car/Bike Registration/Licence Number or Number Plate:
- Issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO), is unique to every state.
- Must be in modern Hindu-Arabic numerals and Latin letters.
- The number plate gets placed on the front-back of the vehicle and should lit up at night for better visibility.
The How Part, Online & Offline Options
Online: Insurance Company Website, IIB/VAHAN e-services Portals & The QR Code:
- Check the website of your insurance company, if it enables you to locate the vehicle insurance details.
- If not successful, visit the IIB official website– Home page.
- Click V Seva, and you will move to the “Accident Vehicle Information Retrieval System” page.
- Enter the following information and press submit: Name of the said vehicle’s owner, address, vehicle registration number, mobile number, email ID and date-place of the accident (if necessary).
- Providing the registration number is mandatory, and it should be added without special characters.
- If you don’t see the insurance details, try entering the vehicle engine or chassis number.
- In case of no results, you may then log on to www.Vahan.nic.in or VAHAN e-services.
- On VAHAN e-services official portal, click on the top tab – “know your vehicle details.”
- Feed-in the registration number of the car in question and the code for verification. Then, click on the “search vehicle” option to view all details.
- As a fourth alternative, you may also scan the QR Code, made compulsory by the IRDAI, to reveal the insurance details and status.
Offline: Insurance Company Customer Care Number, Branch & The RTO:
- If you are trying to get hold of your vehicle’s insurance details, you can call up insurance provider’s customer care or meet officials at the branch.
- Unable to receive details, and especially in case of an accident, for finding out other vehicle’s policy details, you may contact their respective RTO.
Note: The www.Iib.gov.in is the go-to-choice for finding out vehicle insurance policy status; however, it only allows three searches for a specific mobile number or email id. Therefore, other routes could also come in handy.
These are fascinating times for customers. The competition between multiple insurance providers and proactiveness from the regulators are making insurance transactions more efficient by every passing day.
Have you secured appropriate insurance for your vehicle?
Explore Quickinsure, compare online, get an instant quote, and buy your affordable vehicle insurance policy, now!
Sources: Insurance Information Bureau of India, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India, Vahan.nic.in, Policyholder.gov.in, Wikipedia.com, YouTube.com and other information channels.